Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"But, you'll probably hate her now. You know, she's just a name. But, with smoke in her hair, I could still smell how sweet she would be to kiss. And we talked about nothing until she had to go. Where second chances and small talk could have kept me up all night. 'Cause it gets only close enough so you'll know you'll never have her heart. Just sometimes words and long waits inbetween, when she tries hard to be mean. You'll never have her heart...this time."

Lifetime: "Francie Nolan"

Sometimes, I rediscover bands and albums. Sometimes, I rediscover bands with logos I have permanently inked into my skin. Lifetime is that band.

I encourage everyone to go out and buy their album "Jersey's Best Dancers," or at least read the lyrics. Without them, there would be no Fall Out Boy. No Taking Back Sunday. No Saves the Day. There probably wouldn't be the same kid typing this very entry.

Ari Katz had a way with words. He didn't try to sugarcoat how he felt. He made it known that he was going through something, and did it in a way that made his fans relate.

My freshman year of college, I used to play their album, "Hello Bastards," on their way to class. Fast, gritty punk rock with a melodic twist and clever lyrics.

Next time you see the tattoo on my forearm, ask me about the inspiration behind it. Lifetime shaped me to be who I am today. It's funny to say that because they are just a band...and, besides a quick little reunion, they broke up before I even hit puberty.

But, while friends, relationships, and hobbies have come and gone, music has always been there for me. My headphones have shared more with me than anything else, and I like it that way.


xxx.

No comments: