Friday, May 08, 2009

When I saw KRS-One in concert, he told a speech. To paraphrase, he basically said the hackneyed phrase, "Your present affects your future." I have heard it so many times in my life, I almost shrugged it off as nothing of importance.

But, the way he said it, he sounded like he meant it. He sounded like someone that knew what he was saying could go in one ear and out the other, so he stepped up the power and emotion in his voice. He sounded like someone that had been there and made unfavorable decisions, and was paying for it now. He wasn't just some person trying to boost their ego by thinking, "Gee, someday, _________ will look back and say that I gave them the best piece of advice they had ever received."

He sounded REAL.

I really took what he said to heart, but more so in the last month. I'm a difficult person to deal with: I'm stubborn, occasionally unmotivated, and, for lack of better terms, a downer. But I'm trying.

Who I am now will affect who I am next week. Or next month. Or next year. Or when I'm 30. Or 40. Or 50. Etc.

I don't want to look back and be bummed out by how I acted or approached certain subjects or people. I'm young enough to change my ways, and old enough to realize it.

To those that I have hurt or wronged in the past, I owe you my most sincere apology from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for sticking around (I'm luckier than I ever knew).

I know it is hard to change overnight, but this is me showing effort. This summer is my time to right (or write) my wrongs.

Stick around.



xxx.

No comments: