Monday, April 06, 2009

I tell people this a lot, but it's true: when I was a little kid, all I really had was wrestling and music. Those have been the two main constants in my life. So, every year, I'd wait around for Wrestlemania, as it really was the "grandaddy of them all." Especially before all the In Your House ppvs started, Wrestlemania was the one major event in sports entertainment.

I remember when they rereleased the Wrestlemanias on VHS, and how happy I was to finally get 2, 3, 4, and 5. I would watch them all the time. That was around 1999, and at that time, being a ten year old that loved that wasn't very cool. Being a twenty year old and loving that stuff now isn't very cool either, though.

Two years ago was the first time I had actually sat and watched a Wrestlemania since WM14 in 1998, meaning in the nine years from '98 to '07, the most recent one I had seen was 14. That is ridiculous.

I ordered WM25 tonight and now I am completely regretting my decision. The negatives about this show outweigh the positives. In fact, to me, the only positives were Ricky Steamboat (who was just incredible), the HBK/Taker match even though the falsies killed the crowd, and the Steve Austin segment. The main and semi-main were nothing special at all.

Have I grown out of Wrestlemania, or has it grown out of me?

I'm exhausted.


xxx.

No comments: